Prior to western expansion in the United States, the Osage Indians often used a path that became Troost Avenue.
The reported history of the Porter Farm Homestead began well before James Porter arrived in Missouri in 1834.
Before it was divided and subdivided, developed and redeveloped, this 365-acre area of Kansas City centered around 27th and Troost was known as the Porter Farm.
After the Civil War, the Porter family began to sell off lots. They also began developing residential lots in 1886.
Recently, there have been serious efforts to catalogue and document the historic character of buildings and geographic artifacts of what we are calling the Porter Farm District.